"What gives notes their value, is the space in between them" original quote from Christian Simmons
In playing with other musicians I sometimes find that we can get so caught up with the notes we want to play that we miss the beauty of space. It is important to remember that music is a living dynamic thing. The "rests" in a piece of music are just as (if not more) important than the notes. There can be no loud without soft....there can be no notes without silence. Honor the "rests"
God bless
Christian Simmons
I realized toward the END of this post that you were discussing your thoughts on phrasing of notes. I Love this this thought. It immediately got me thinking about Harmonic Dissonance and the significance of chordal Structure.
ReplyDeleteThe arrangement of tonal frequencies [musical notes] in time = Melodic Phrasing
VS
The Amplitudes of multiple tonal frequencies [difference of at least one chromatic interval] ; The physical difference in Amplitude within each notes simultaneous arrangement in space = Harmonic Quality/Dissonance